What does law claim
Freiburg Lectures on Staatswissenschaft and Philosophy of Law
- Date: Jun 21, 2023
- Time: 06:15 PM - 08:15 PM (Local Time Germany)
- Speaker: Prof. Brian Bix, Frederick W. Thomas Professor of Law and Philosophy University of Minnesota Law School
- Location: Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Room: Lecture room 1098, University building I
- Host: MPI-CSL in cooperation with the Department of Political Science and Philosophy of Law at the University of Freiburg
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
One central element of Joseph Raz’s writings about the nature of law is the assertion that law claims moral authority. The present work critically examines Raz’s claim, and uses that topic as a starting point to explore basic questions about the nature of legal obligation. An important part of that exploration will be an evaluation of the possibility of thinking of legal normativity as sui generis, rather than a type of normativity that needs to be reduced to or translated into some other factual or normative terms.
After the talk, all participants are warmly invited to a light reception.